By Liz Stanley
The party starts in a wee few hours. The stockings are hung by the chimney with care. The bruschetta is ready to roll, the votives set to light, the holiday mix ready to spin. When what to your wandering eyes shouldn’t appear? Cool overhead decor for setting party atmosphere.
On, dasher! Put these mod DIY ornaments, as seen on Design Sponge, to use. You probably have these household items tucked away in a drawer already, and you’ll still have plenty of time to kick back before guests arrive. (As if.)
Here’s what you’ll need:
Holiday colors cardstock
Ribbon or tinsel (optional)
1. Gather together items listed above.
2. Cut cardstock and ribbon/tinsel into four inch-wide strips: one each of 11 inches in length, 9 inches, 7 inches and 5 inches. If you’re using ribbon or tinsel, they’ll work better in the smaller sizes. Organize the strips into piles by size, with equal amounts in each pile with the exception of the 5-inch pile. You’ll only need half as many of that size.
3. Choose one strip from each pile starting with the longest strip, placing them on top of each other to form a new pile. When you get to the shortest (5-inch) strip, go back the way you came, picking a second strip from each pile, ending with the longest strip. With the ends aligned, staple that pile together.
4. Now that you’ve stapled one side, you can bring the other ends together by bending the longer strips and aligning their ends. The 5-inch strip in the middle will remain straight.
5. Carefully holding the ends, staple this side together.
6. Hang with fish wire from your tree, chandelier, doorway or ceiling for quick, easy and affordable modern festivity!