What do you get when you put a perpetual student, recreational aide, waitress, artist, nanny, sandwich-maker, college art instructor and library worker together? Before you get too creative, we’ll tell you. You would get Utah printmaker Eva Jorgensen, the undoubtedly well-rounded mastermind behind uber loved (and deserving) Sycamore Steet Press.
The now-Heber-based letterpress studio is known foremost in the stationery and blogging communities for bringing together true artistic style and cheeky expressions, but also for taking colorful and inventive illustrations to the press—giving any and all access to a really cool print or two from any number of artists.
Our girl Eva, who received a BFA from Brigham Young University and an MFA from the University of Utah, didn’t uncover her love (or talent) for letterpress until she gave Frosty Darling’s stationery rack a gander and thought to herself, “I could do that.”
And how! She and husband Kirk head up Sycamore Street with help from Stephanie Ford, Kristin Mills, Amy Shaffer, Natasha Wheeler and a slew of guest designers. If you want a full run of the gamut, try a membership with the Sycamore Club. Otherwise, get started at her site, Etsy shop, or blog.
Welcome back the land of the Best Snow on Earth, Eva! And now YHO gets the skinny….
Name: Eva Jorgensen
Occupation: Owner/Designer/Printer for an independent letterpress studio
When I grow up, I want to be: What I am now. Only I’d like to add mother, photographer and heirloom gardener to the list.
The best thing about growing up in Utah was: Family and friends
If/when I have 24 hours in Utah, I always:
- Float down the Provo River
- Go to the old school photobooth at Kmart in Orem
- Shop at D.I., Savers or Thriftown
- Check out the zine collection and art exhibit at the SLC Main Library
- Eat dinner at Mazza in SLC, followed by a shake at Dairy Keen in Heber
- See Ok Ikumi and The Boy Who Could Fly
Utah has the best: MLS soccer team, Real Salt Lake!
Now I live in: Heber, Utah
Heber has the best: Clear blue skies
If I could be anywhere right now, it would be: A sandy beach in the Greek Isles
- Junky Heirloom (the owners/designers Amy and Kristin also design the “Lark” line for Sycamore Street Press)
- Salty caramel ice cream from Jeni’s
- The Simply Radiant blog (Stephanie also designs the “Pop” line for Sycamore Street Press)
- The Clumsy Bird Flickr photostream
- The view of Timp from our studio windows
- Getting out of bed
- Strawberry milk
- Humid summers/humid winters
- Arguing over politics
- The idea of making phone calls (once I’m actually on the phone, I’m alright)
I can’t live without my: To do list
The last party I went to was: Our friends’ wedding at the Columbus Athletic Club
And I wore: A 1950′s-style dress with a mess of pearls and chains hanging from my neck
Favorite product on your site: Kirk’s “Bon Appetit” print for the Sycamore Club
Favorite product on earth: Swedish Hasbeen’s Jodhpur boots